Chicken Fajita Pasta
The inclusion of avocados in this dish offers an unexpected twist. The avocado's
creamy texture and delicious flavor helps marry the Latin flavors of this dish with
the traditionally Italian pasta.
- 1 (16-ounce) package whole wheat fettuccini
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, membrane and seeds removed
and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, membrane and seeds removed and thinly
- 1 green bell pepper, membrane and seeds removed and thinly sliced
cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (6-ounce) boneless and skinless chicken breasts, thinly
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe, Fresh Hass Avocado, seeded, peeled and diced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add fettuccini and cook
according to package directions. Drain and cover to keep warm.
- Place half the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Stir in half the cumin
and crushed red pepper. Add onions and cook until soft and just beginning to brown,
about 4 minutes.
- Add peppers and garlic and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Place mixture in
a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining oil, cumin and crushed red pepper to skillet and place on medium
- Add chicken and cook until lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Return onion mixture
to skillet along with lime juice, oregano and cilantro. Stir to combine. Remove
from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Add avocado and gently stir into chicken mixture.
- Serve over whole wheat fettuccini.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
Tip: Chicken can be replaced with thinly sliced beef or whole shrimp.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages
about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Nutrition facts: Amount Per Serving Calories: 790 Total Fat: 18 g Saturated
Fat: 2.5 g Trans Fat: n/a Cholesterol: 110 mg Sodium: 105 mg Carbohydrates: 96 g
Total Sugars: 7 g Protein: 6 g
Reprinted with permission from
the California Avocado Commission.