Classic Wisconsin Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 3 cups (12 ounces) sharp Wisconsin Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups coarse bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions, or until al dente. Drain, rinse,
and set aside.
- In large saucepan, saute onion in butter for two minutes until transparent. Blend
in flour, stirring well to incorporate, and cook for an additional minute. Whisk
milk into butter and flour mixture. Bring to simmer and cook until sauce thickens.
Reduce to low heat and add salt, pepper, hot sauce and mustard. Stir in 2 1/2 cups
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese sauce and mix well. Place macaroni mixture in buttered,
ovenproof, 9-inch square dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese and
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.