Crab Bisque Macaroni and Wisconsin Cheese
When you want to dress it up a little bit, try this elegant version of macaroni and cheese.
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth, canned or homemade
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) sharp Wisconsin Cheddar, shredded, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded, divided
- 8 ounces cooked crabmeat; fresh, thawed or canned and drained (or substitute imitation crab from seafood department)
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 8 ounces penne pasta, cooked al dente according to package directions, drained
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In large, deep saucepan, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter until sizzling. Add onion;
Saute over medium heat about 3 minutes or until tender. Add remaining butter. When
sizzling add the flour and cook, stirring, until the flour is golden.
- Oven medium heat, gradually whisk milk and chicken broth into flour butter mixture.
Cook, stirring constantly 8 to 10 minutes, until the mixture is thick and smooth.
Stir in tomatoes, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring just to boiling point and remove
from heat. Add 2/3 cup each of the Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses. Stir until
the cheese is melted. Stir in crabmeat and sherry. Stir in the pasta, mixing well.
- Transfer mixture to an oval 8 x 10-inch lightly buttered casserole (or slightly
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the casserole and bake until bubbly, about
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.