Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, buttered
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole
dish or large cast iron skillet.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low
heat. Add flour, salt, and pepper and whisk until well blended. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk and cream while whisking
continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes, continuing to stir.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
- Gradually add cheddar cheese, then simmer for 5 minutes or until
the cheese melts.
- Turn off heat. Add macaroni and gently stir to coat with the cheese sauce.
Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with fine bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling.
Yield: 4 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.