Fettuccine with Bread Sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
(from about 3 slices of Italian bread)
- 6 juicy ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh spinach fettuccine or other fettuccine
- In a large skillet, heat the 4 tablespoons olive oil and garlic until it begins
to sizzle. Add fresh breadcrumbs and stir-fry them until golden. Be sure the garlic
is well-distributed. Allow the finished crumbs to cool.
- Combine tomatoes, parsley, basil, salt, black pepper and the 2 tablespoons olive
oil for an uncooked tomato sauce. This recipe can be prepared ahead to this point
and kept at room temperature for two hours.
- Cook fettuccine according to the package directions until al dente. Do not overcook.
- Stir in the tomato mixture. Toss with half the crumbs and sprinkle the rest on
- Serve at room temperature.
Serves 2 to 4, depending on accompaniments.