- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound potatoes, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 pound fideo, broken into small pieces
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large Dutch oven heat the oil over moderate heat. Add potatoes and cook
them until they are just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and stir, breaking it up, until it is just browned.
- Crush garlic,
cumin and oregano to a paste in a molcajete or mortar and pestle and add the mixture
to the potatoes and meat.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring together until
- Bring the contents of the pot to a simmer and cook until the fideo is
soft, about 10 minutes.