Garlic Shrimp and Broccoli Baked Ziti
For an upgrade to crowd favorite baked ziti, we pumped up the protein and veggies by adding shrimp and broccoli rabe. The result was this easy, delicious pasta bake.
- 2 tablespoons/1 ounce extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups/8 ounces onions, medium dice
- 1/4 cup/2 ounces finely chopped garlic, divided
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil and garlic (or similar)
- 1 pound broccoli rabe
- 1 pound ziti
- 36 each/12 ounces medium shrimp, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups/8 ounces mozzarella, grated
- 1/2 cup/2 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- To make the tomato sauce, heat a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add 1 tablespoon of the extra virgin olive oil and the onions. Sweat the
onions until they are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add 2 tablespoons of the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until the flavors meld and the sauce
thickens a bit (about 15 minutes).
- While the sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a
boil. Cook the broccoli rabe until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from
water, reserving the water to cook the pasta.
- Cook the ziti according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
When broccoli rabe is cool enough to handle, roughly chop it. Reserve.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining olive oil
and remaining garlic. Cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp and cook until just pink (about 1 minute).
- Stir in the broccoli rabe, sauce and pasta.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and
- Bake until heated through and the cheese is golden and bubbly (about
Yield: 12 servings | Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
An exclusive PastaFits.org recipe.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: National Pasta
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.