Green Onion Fideo
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces fideo or other fine pasta, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash of cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 or 4 scallions, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add fideo, and cook until lightly browned.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add tomato sauce, water, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Top with grated cheese and scallion. Cover until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.