Hawaiian Pizza Pasta
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, onion, pepper and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the tomato sauce, bay leaves, oregano, basil and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Discard bay leaves from sauce.
- Add pasta, 5 cups mozzarella cheese, pineapple and ham. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Yield: 12 servings