Hearty Spaghetti with Pork
This boasts a sauce made with bacon, ground pork, pork sausage, wine, and just
the right amount of spices.
- 3 slices bacon
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 pound pork sausage, bulk
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp. Drain bacon, reserving drippings in
skillet. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- In reserved drippings cook pork, sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic over
medium-high heat until meat is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine; bring to boiling; lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid
is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the bacon, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, brown sugar, basil,
thyme and bay leaves. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1
hour or until desired consistency. Remove bay leaves.
- Serve with hot cooked spaghetti.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min | Servings: 6
Serving Suggestions: Pork is the meat of choice in a classic simmered Bolognese
sauce. Try this simple formula—it will become a favorite. Extra sauce freezes nicely.
Nutrition Information: Calories: 540 Protein: 29 grams Fat: 27 grams Sodium:
1150 milligrams Cholesterol: 85 milligrams Saturated Fat: 10 grams Carbohydrates:
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.