Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 pound uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons spicy mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Oil a 1 1/2-quart ovenproof casserole and set
- Fill a large stockpot with at least 6 quarts water. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable
oil to the water to keep the macaroni from sticking. Place the pot on high heat
and bring to a rolling boil. Add the macaroni and cook for the time specified on
the package, making sure not to overcook it. Drain immediately and rinse under cold,
running water. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and saute over medium-low
heat for 4 or 5 minutes or until tender and translucent. Stir in the nutmeg, cayenne,
black pepper, salt, mustard and flour and saute 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Add the milk and 1 cup of the cheese. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring
the sauce to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, for about
10 minutes longer or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the well-drained macaroni. Pour the
mixture into the oiled baking dish. Sprinkle the macaroni with the remaining cheese.
- Place the dish on the middle shelf of the hot oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes
or until hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted.
Yields 4 servings.
Source: Charlotte Observer - March 24, 1998
From: Mary Godfrey, Shiloh Baptist Church, Choctaw County, Alabama
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.