Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 pound uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons spicy mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Oil a 1 1/2-quart ovenproof casserole and set
- Fill a large stockpot with at least 6 quarts water. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable
oil to the water to keep the macaroni from sticking. Place the pot on high heat
and bring to a rolling boil. Add the macaroni and cook for the time specified on
the package, making sure not to overcook it. Drain immediately and rinse under cold,
running water. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and saute over medium-low
heat for 4 or 5 minutes or until tender and translucent. Stir in the nutmeg, cayenne,
black pepper, salt, mustard and flour and saute 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Add the milk and 1 cup of the cheese. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring
the sauce to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, for about
10 minutes longer or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the well-drained macaroni. Pour the
mixture into the oiled baking dish. Sprinkle the macaroni with the remaining cheese.
- Place the dish on the middle shelf of the hot oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes
or until hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted.
Yields 4 servings.
Source: Charlotte Observer - March 24, 1998
From: Mary Godfrey, Shiloh Baptist Church, Choctaw County, Alabama
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pasta Recipes