Mexican Stuffed Jumbo Pasta Shells
- 18 to 20 jumbo pasta shells
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle picante sauce (hot, medium or mild)
- 1 (4 ounces) can green chiles, chopped and drained (hot, medium or mild)
- 4 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (2.8 ounce) can Durkee French fried onion rings or 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 ounces Mozzarella cheese
- 1 small can sliced black olives, drained (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, rinse and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine picante sauce, water and tomato sauce.
- In a large bowl, mix well 1/2 of the tomato sauce mixture, chiles, black olives, 1/2 of all three cheese and 1/2 of the onion rings or minced onions into the ground beef.
- Pour 1/2 of the remaining tomato sauce mixture into the bottom of an 8 x 12-inch (or larger) casserole dish.
- Stuff the pasta shells with beef mixture and place in the casserole dish.
- Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the stuffed shells.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheeses and onion rings or minced onions over the top and bake, uncovered, for 5 more minutes.
Yield: 6 servings