Mostaccioli and Shrimp with
Tangerine Basil Sauce
- 1 pound Mostaccioli, Ziti or other medium pasta shape, uncooked
- 5 1/2 cups tangerine or orange juice, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced, seeded jalapeño pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced Brie cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil leaves
- 1 cup tangerine or orange segments
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- Combine 5 cups of the tangerine or orange juice, the yellow onion, jalapeño,
bay leaves and 1 tablespoon of garlic in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and
cook until liquid is reduced by two-thirds.
- Remove the bay leaves. Allow to cool.
- Transfer juice mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper
to taste and set aside.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, add the oil, red onion and shrimp to a medium skillet.
Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup tangerine or orange juice to the skillet and cook over
- Drain the pasta, return it to the pot and add the reserved orange sauce and the
shrimp mixture. Cook over low heat 1 minute.
- Stir in the Brie and basil. Stir until the Brie is melted.
- Transfer to a serving
- Garnish with orange segments and toasted almonds.
- Serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6.
Recipe and photo credit: National Pasta Association.