Mozzarella Meat Balls and Spaghetti
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 12 ounces spaghetti (or preferred pasta)
- Put the beef, breadcrumbs, garlic, half the parsley, salt and pepper into a bowl.
Add the egg and mix well.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese into 16 small cubes. Take a heaped teaspoonful of beef
mixture and form it into a ball around each cube of cheese.
- Heat the oil in a large covered pan, add the meat balls to the pan, cover and
cook until brown on all sides.
- Add the onion to the pan, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the tomatoes and
juice. Bring up to a simmering point, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Uncover pan and cook for a further 10 minutes to allow the sauce to reduce and
- While the meatballs are cooking, cook the spaghetti in boiling water until done
to your preference.
- Drain well and divide among 4 warmed plates.
- Divide the sauce among the plates of spaghetti, and sprinkle with the remaining parsley.