Pasta and Pasta Sauce Recipes
The Nutcracker's Pasta Carbonara
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 pound linguine
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- Cook linguine according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon in large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon with slotted spoon to a paper towel-covered plate; drain all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Add shallot to skillet and cook, stirring until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks, Pecorino, salt and pepper in medium bowl; set aside.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Add pasta, bacon and oil to skillet mixture; toss to coat.
- Remove pan from heat. Add egg mixture, tossing constantly. Gradually Add enough of reserved cooking liquid, tossing until sauce is creamy.
- Sprinkle with parsley and extra Pecorino cheese if desired.
- Serve at once.
Parmesan cheese can be used in place of Pecorino
This recipe is an excellent source of protein and folate, and a good source of choline.