Pasta and Pasta Sauce Recipes
Old Fashioned Goulash
This American goulash is also known as Beef-a-Roni.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups minced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- Freshly shredded shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat a stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef, onions and garlic; cook for 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into small
crumbles, stirring occasionally, or until onions are translucent.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water, soy sauce, paprika, Italian seasoning, seasoned salt and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in macaroni, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with Cheddar cheese, if desired.
Per serving: 361 Calories; 81 Calories from fat