Pasta with Browned Butter-Asparagus Sauce
I love browned butter sauce. I sometimes omit the asparagus and lemon juice and
just serve pasta with the browned butter. That's delicious too, and it is also
served that way at the Spaghetti Company restaurants.
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound pasta*
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
* Spaghetti, penne or whatever pasta you have on hand
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and boil
until bright green, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the
asparagus from the pot and transfer to a colander to drain off excess water.
- Add the pasta to the pot of boiling water and cook according to package
directions until the pasta is al dente.
- In a separate, large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Continue to
cook, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown and nutty in aroma. Add the
minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir the cooked asparagus and penne into the brown butter, tossing to
coat. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from
- Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon into the pasta mixture, being careful to
avoid any seeds.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top with lemon zest and the remaining Parmesan cheese, to serve.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
If you want more sauce than this makes, simply double the butter and garlic.
If you prefer your sauce more lemony, simply add the juice of two lemons.