- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large (or 2 small) onions, diced
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 5 or 6 cloves garlic, minced (or squeezed through a garlic press)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sweet basil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) cans cannelini (white kidney) beans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can V-8 Vegetable Juice
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- Spread olive oil in the bottom of a large stock pot or kettle. Add ground beef
and saute until thoroughly browned, crumbling as it cooks.
- Add onions, pepper, celery,
and garlic and saute until they start to soften, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Roughly cut the tomatoes into chunks with a sharp knife and add them to pot.
- Add oregano and dried sweet basil.
- Add drained red and white kidney beans to pot.
- Add V-8 Vegetable Juice to pot.
- Add brown sugar to pot and stir until fully dissolved.
- Bring soup to a full boil, then reduce heat and simmer (covered) for 1 1/2 to 2
- Just before serving, boil elbow macaroni and drain according to the directions
on the box, then stir into the soup.
- Serve with grated cheese as a garnish, if desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.