Pasta with Mushrooms, Chianti Style
(Pasta al Funghi alla Chiantigiana)
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 1/4 cups hot
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup coarsely diced red onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Chianti or other dry red wine
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 pound dried fettuccini
- 1/2 cup pasta
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Put the dried porcini mushrooms in a bowl and add 2 1/4 cups hot water. Place
a small plate on top to keep mushrooms from floating and set aside 30 minutes. Drain,
saving 2 cups liquid.
- Rinse mushrooms briefly and press in paper towels to remove excess water. Strain
the mushroom liquid through a paper towel-lined sieve. Put tomato paste in a bowl
and whisk in a little mushroom liquid until smooth. Then add remaining liquid, mixing
well. Set aside.
- Trim stems from cremini mushrooms and wipe caps with a damp paper towel. Slice
thinly and set aside. Put reconstituted porcini mushrooms, red onion and garlic
on a cutting surface and chop together coarsely. Add half of parsley.
- Heat olive oil in a 3 1/2 quart pan set over medium heat. Add fresh mushrooms
and chopped vegetable mixture; sauté , stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. (Reduce
heat slightly as vegetables begin to dry out.)
- Add wine and simmer 5 minutes. Pour mushroom-tomato liquid into the pan and season
with some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer; cook
30 minutes. Stir sauce occasionally.
- Uncover and continue at a simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in remaining parsley.
- Place a large pasta bowl in a warm oven. Bring 5 quarts water and 2 teaspoons
salt to a boil in a 10-quart pot. Add pasta and bring back to a full, rolling boil.
Stir well. Cook according to package directions, using the shortest cooking time.
Taste and continue cooking until pasta is al dente. Remove 1/2 cup pasta cooking
water, then drain.
- Transfer pasta to warm bowl and toss with butter if using.
- Pour sauce over pasta and toss gently.
- Toss with cheese and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 511; Protein 19.59 grams; Fat
14.22 grams; Carbohydrates 77.39 grams; Sodium 817 milligrams; Saturated fat 3.68
grams; Monounsaturated fat 7.15 grams; Polyunsaturated fat 1.85 grams; Cholesterol