Pumpkin Thyme Macaroni and Cheese
Enjoy a delicious, autumn twist on a classic favorite. It provides over half
a serving of vegetables per serving — a perfect balance to an evening of trick-or-treating.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (2 cups), prepared accordingto
- 8 ounces grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 5 tablespoons Challenge Butter, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup
chopped onion (1 medium)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can
100% pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped
fresh thyme leaves(or 1/4 teaspoon dry whole leaves)
cup Panko style breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch square glass baking dish.
- Cook macaroni; drain and set aside.
- Grate cheese; reserve 1/2 cup for topping and set rest aside for sauce.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add red
pepper and onions. Sauté onions until limp and slightly brown.
- Blend in flour and cook an additional minute.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, milk, salt and thyme; cook until sauce thickens.
- Stir in 2 cups grated cheese.
- Combine sauce and prepared macaroni; place into prepared baking dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and combine with Panko bread crumbs; stir in 1/2
cup cheese. Sprinkle over top of macaroni mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until surface has browned slightly and sauce
begins to bubble.
You can make the sauce ahead of time and then blend it with cooked macaroni
when you're ready. Or, you can assemble this casserole the night before so its ready
to bake on a busy evening.
Source: Challenge Home Economist
Reprinted with permission from
Challenge Dairy - challengedairy.com.