Pumpkin Thyme Macaroni and Cheese
Enjoy a delicious, autumn twist on a classic favorite. Pumpkin Thyme Macaroni and Cheese provides over half a serving of vegetables per serving.
You can make the sauce ahead of time and then blend it with cooked macaroni when you're ready. Or, you can assemble this casserole the night before so it's ready to bake on a busy evening.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (2 cups), prepared according to package directions
- 8 ounces grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 5 tablespoons Challenge Butter, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can 100% pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1/4 teaspoon dry whole leaves)
- 1/2 cup Panko style breadcrumbs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch square glass baking dish.
- Cook macaroni; drain and set aside.
- Grate cheese; reserve 1/2 cup for topping and set rest aside for sauce.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add red pepper and onions. Saute onions until limp and slightly brown.
- Blend in flour and cook an additional minute.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, milk, salt and thyme; cook until sauce thickens.
- Stir in 2 cups grated cheese.
- Combine sauce and prepared macaroni; place into prepared baking dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and combine with Panko bread crumbs; stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Sprinkle over top of macaroni mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until surface has browned slightly and sauce begins to bubble.
Source: Challenge Home Economist
Recipe and photo used with permission from: