Ranch House Macaroni and Cheese
The ultimate comfort food–macaroni and cheese–gets a Southwestern twist spiked by jalapeño chiles and cumin. Sharp Wisconsin Cheddar adds more outstanding flavor to this warming dish.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons jalapeño chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sharp Wisconsin Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained well, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup bottled ranch style dressing
- 8 ounces wagon wheel pasta, cooked al dente according to package directions, drained
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In large, deep saucepan, heat butter until sizzling. Stir in flour. Cook over
medium heat, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes or until flour is golden.
- Gradually whisk in milk and cook, stirring 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thick and smooth.
- Turn off heat, stir in salt, cumin, red pepper flakes, pepper, chiles and Cheddar.
Stir until cheese melts.
- Add red peppers, dressing and cooked pasta, mixing well.
- Pour into oval 8 x 10-inch lightly buttered casserole or similar baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- Sprinkle with the sliced green onions.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.