Red Chili Fettuccini
- 1/2 pound red chili fettuccine (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Pinch of paprika
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers
- 1 large skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, chilled
- 1 medium onion
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Toast chili powder in a 250 degree F oven on a cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes. If chili powder does not already include other spices, add 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 teaspoon garlic powder before toasting. Watch carefully so that it does not burn.
- Use metal blade of food processor to mix chili powder, flour and salt. Pulsate in processor 3 or 4 times. With machine running, add eggs, water and oil through feed tube and process until dough forms ball. Add flour if ball is too sticky or water if too dry. Continue processing for 60 seconds to knead dough. Remove and wrap in plastic and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 equal parts and shape and cut or use pasta machine. Bring 2 quarts of salted water to boil; add pasta and cook until tender, 45 to 60 seconds. Do not overcook. Drain and transfer to a serving dish.
- In food processor using metal blade, with machine running, drop garlic clove through feed tube and process until minced. Add oil, vinegar, lime juice, 1 teaspoon salt, mustard, pepper and paprika and pulse 3 or 4 times to mix. Pour 1/2 of the dressing over pasta and toss well. Set remaining dressing aside in a small bowl.
- Roast jalapeno chiles on all sides under broiler or hold over gas flame with tongs until evenly blistered and blackened. Put chiles in plastic bag and place in freezer for 10 minutes. Remove from freezer and peel off skins, split open and remove stem and seeds. (Use rubber gloves if possible.) Cut chiles in slices; pat dry and add to pasta salad.
- Bring 1 quart water to a simmer. Poach chicken 8 to 10 minutes or until done. Drain and let cool; shred chicken by hand and add to pasta. Use shredding disc to process cheese and add to pasta. Use metal blade to chop onion and add to pasta. Peel and seed avocado; cut into 1/2-inch pieces and add to pasta.
- Pour reserved dressing on salad and serve.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.