Rigatoni with Olives and Bacon
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces dried rigatoni (or other small pasta)
- 12 pitted and chopped cured black olives (such as Kalamata)
- Small piece (1 to 2 ounces) Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped marjoram or thyme (optional)
- In medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp (reserve drippings); blot, coarsely
chop and set aside.
- In bacon drippings, saute onion until soft and just beginning to brown, about
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, drain and transfer to
warm serving platter or large shallow bowl.
- Toss pasta with bacon, onion and olives.
Season with salt and pepper to taste; toss again.
- Use a vegetable peeler to cut the Parmesan cheese into thin shavings.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the pasta and top with the fresh herb, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.