Scarpara Sauce with Pasta
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 large cloves
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole tomatoes or 4 (10 ounce) cans tomato wedges (use juice and cut each tomato into eighths)
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can chopped ripe olives
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 18 ounces
linguine or spaghetti
- 6 quarts water with 3/4 tablespoon salt
- Sauté onions in olive oil for 5 minutes stirring so it will not burn.
- Add garlic; sauté 3 more minutes.
- Add all ingredients except linguine or
spaghetti. Cook for 45 minutes over medium heat. Sauce is very thick.
- Cook linguine in salted water. Cook pasta for 6 to 10 minutes or al dente,
- Remove pasta from water and drain well.
- Add half of the linguine to the sauce and let it absorb some sauce before adding remaining
Yields 5 servings; 1 1/2 quarts sauce