Spaghetti and Meatballs with Raisins
Here is our family favorite recipe for Spaghetti and Meatballs in reply to a
request by Aaron Cederlof in the January 3, 2006 Recipe Goldmine Newsletter. Enjoy!
- 1 - 2 pounds hot sausage links, pierced with a fork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large cans (about 28 ounces each) Italian tomatoes, broken up
- 1 (14 1/2 - 16 ounce) can tomatoes, broken up
- 2 large size cans tomato puree
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 can water (use puree can)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed between fingers
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (do not omit - it cuts the acidity of tomatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Meatballs with Raisins
- 1/2 cup dry seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley, crushed (or 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- Dash pepper
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Spaghetti: Saute onion, garlic and green pepper in a small amount of oil (0live
oil if you have it). Add puree, water, tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix well.
Add sugar, spices, browned sausage and browned meatballs. Simmer for 1 hour per
pound of meat added or until meat is completely cooked. Stir often, and prop cover
to keep splatter to a minimum. Do not cover pan completely. Heat builds up quickly.
- Place sausage in shallow roasting pan or on a cookie sheet with sides.
Line pan with foil for easier clean up, if desired. Bake pierced sausage in preheated
400 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Turn occasionally (usually 7 minute intervals)
for more even browning. Add to sauce.
- Lower oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meatballs with Raisins: Mix well, bread crumbs, raisins, milk and eggs.
- Add remaining ingredients, mix well again. Shape into about 24 meatballs. Place on a cookie sheet
with sides. Line sheet with foil, if desired, for easier clean up.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn over after
7 minutes. Add to sauce.
You may wish to double the recipe for meatballs. They freeze well. The
sauce freezes well too.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pasta Recipes