Stuffed Saucy Meatballs and Pasta
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, divided into 12 small balls
- 1 (25-26 ounce) jar spicy red pepper pasta sauce or your favorite
- 1 pound cooked spaghetti rigati or linguine
- Fresh oregano sprigs (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, garlic, 1 tablespoon
oregano, salt and pepper. Mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Divide mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into patties.
- Place one mozzarella
ball in center of each patty and mold beef around cheese until completely enclosed,
- Place on 15 x 10-inch baking pan covered with aluminum foil and
bake for 15-20 minutes until juices run clear.
- While baking, heat pasta sauce in large saucepan, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked meatballs and heat for 5 minutes.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce on pasta.
- Sprinkle with remaining oregano.
- Garnish with oregano sprigs if desired.
Serves 4 to 7.
Dried oregano may be substituted for fresh. Use 1 teaspoon dried oregano
in meatball mixture and add 1 teaspoon to pasta sauce before heating.