Swedish Meatball Pasta Bake
- 1 1/4 cups plain panko bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups egg noodles or shell pasta
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (32 ounces) beef broth (low sodium or regular)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the panko bread crumbs in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion, salt, pepper, allspice and nutmeg and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low/medium, and add the milk. Stir everything together and bring it to a simmer.
- When the onion mixture has come to a simmer, pour it from the pan into the bowl of panko bread crumbs and stir everything together. The mixture will be very thick. Set this bowl aside to cool.
- Add the eggs to a separate extra large bowl, and beat them.
- Add the ground beef, ground pork and cooled onion mixture. Mix everything together.
- Form about 30 balls and then chill them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil.
- Add the meatballs to the skillet in batches and cook them until they are browned on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the meatballs to a dish and set them aside.
- Cook the pasta al dente according to the directions on the box, drain it and add it to a 9 x 13-inch oven-safe baking dish.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Sauce and Assembly
- Place the meatballs into the baking dish, nestling them into the pasta.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the flour, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the beef broth, water, Worcestershire, salt and pepper and bring it to a simmer, stirring often.
- Reduce the heat to low/medium, and add the parsley and heavy cream or sour cream. Stir everything together constantly and cook it until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully pour the sauce over the meatballs and pasta.
- Bake the Swedish meatballs, pasta and sauce for 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings