Three Cheese Manicotti
These tender manicotti shells are actually crepes, and can be stuffed with a
variety of fillings, including creamy chicken or a hearty Bolognese sauce.
- 2 cups ricotta cheese (15 ounces), preferably fresh
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (about 6 ounce)
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Unsalted butter
- 3 cups tomato sauce, preferably homemade
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta with the mozzarella, basil, 1 teaspoon
of salt and the pepper.
- In a blender, process the flour, water, eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of salt until
smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat an 8-inch crepe or omelet pan over moderately high heat. Lightly butter
the pan and add 2 tablespoons batter; working quickly, swirl the pan to coat
it evenly. Cook until the top of the crepe is dry and the bottom is lightly
golden about 1 minute. Flip the crepe and cook until the bottom is lightly golden,
about 20 seconds longer. Transfer the crepe to a large plate and repeat with
the remaining batter to make a total of 16 crepes.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat the bottom of a 3-quart baking dish
with 1 cup of the tomato sauce.
- Arrange the crepes on a work surface. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the ricotta
filling in a line down the center of each crepe. Loosely roll up the crepes
and arrange them, seam side up, side by side in the baking dish. Pour the remaining
2 cups of tomato sauce over the manicotti and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tomato sauce is bubbling and the
manicotti are heated through.
- Serve piping hot.
Makes 8 servings.
Make Ahead: The unbaked manicotti can be refrigerated overnight. Allow up to
15 minutes longer for baking.
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 28, 2001.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.