- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound dry spaghetti
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry (optional)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms
- 4 ounces canned pimento
- 4 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or similarly shaped
- Combine 4 quarts of water and 1 teaspoon salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil
over high heat and add spaghetti. Cook until barely tender, then drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt 6 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour
and stir to blend.
- Add broth, stirring to prevent lumps (this is easier with a whisk).
When the mixture is thick, add milk, sherry, 3/4 cup cheese, pepper and remaining
salt. Cook another minute or so to heat through, then remove from the burner and
- Trim onions of their roots and green leaves. Mince the onions and slice the mushrooms.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet and add onions. Cook 1 minute over
- Increase heat to high and add mushrooms.
- Stir about 3 minutes, until mushrooms are glistening. Add them to the sauce.
- Toss spaghetti, sauce, pimento and turkey.
- Spread in prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until it is heated through and bubbly.