Vegan Bolognese Sauce over Rigatoni
Now you can indulge in a hearty, delicious bolognese dish without all the calories! Vegan
Bolognese Sauce features good-for-you French lentils mixed with fresh tomatoes and herbs. After
just one try we’re betting it will turn into one of your favorite pasta sauces.
- 1/2 cup/3 1/2 ounces French lentils
- 2 tablespoons/1 ounce extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups/8 ounces onion, medium dice
- 2 tablespoons/1 ounce garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons/1 ounce tomato paste
- 1/2 cup/4 ounces red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 6 ounces rigatoni
- 1/4 cup/1 ounce basil, shredded
- Place lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with at least 2” of
water. Boil until tender (about 20 minutes), drain and reserve.
- While the lentils are cooking, make the Bolognese. Heat a large
saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onions. Cook until
softened and translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic, thyme and
tomato paste. Stir to lightly caramelize the tomato paste and allow the
garlic and thyme to become aromatic (about 1 minute).
- Add the red wine, bay leaf, pepper flakes and tomatoes. Break up the
tomatoes using a whisk or clean kitchen scissors. Bring to a simmer and
cook until the flavors have melded and the sauce has thickened (about 20
- Stir in the lentils. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- While the Bolognese is simmering, bring a large pot of salted water
to a boil. Cook the rigatoni according to package directions. Drain.
- Divide rigatoni among 4 bowls and top with sauce. Sprinkle with
Yield: 4 servings | Total Time: 45 min
An exclusive Pasta Fits recipe.
Photo credit: Gerardo Luna
Recipe credit (used with permission):
National Pasta Association