California Cheese and Green
Chile Shrimp Lasagna
For the Sauce
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked, washed and cut into quarters, or 2 (12-ounce cans), drained
- 2 large jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 7 ounces can whole green chiles
- 5 Romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 green onions
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
For the Lasagna
- 1 (8-ounce) package oven ready lasagna noodles (12 noodles)
- 12 ounces of Real California Panela cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Real California Monterey Jack cheese shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, cut in half lengthwise
- Sauce: In a blender or food processor, pulse the tomatillos, jalapeños and 1
1/2 cups cold water just until chunky.
- Add onion, cilantro, salt, chiles, lettuce, green onions and garlic. Puree until
smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Lasagna: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish, spread 1 cup of the sauce. Layer 1/3 of the
shrimp over the sauce. Place 3 lasagna noodles over the shrimp. (Noodles should
not overlap or touch side of pan since they will expand when baked).
- Combine shredded cheeses and sprinkle about 2 cups over the noodles. Repeat layering
the sauce, shrimp, noodles and cheese two more times. Top with the remaining 3 lasagna
noodles and spread remaining sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake until hot and bubbly, about 10 to 15 minutes more. Allow
to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve immediately.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe and photo credit: California Milk Advisory Board.