Chicken Pot Pie Lasagna
- 12 pieces uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced spring onions
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed and well drained
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 (15 ounce) package low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Spray a Dutch oven or large skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat
- Add chicken and saute 4 minutes or until cooked through.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Recoat Dutch oven with cooking spray and place over medium-high
heat until hot. Add mushrooms, carrots and onions; saute 6 minutes.
- Place flour in a medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with
a wire whisk until blended; stir in sherry. Bring to a boil over
medium heat and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in salt and red pepper. Reserve one cup of sauce and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine Ricotta cheese, 1 cup Mozzarella cheese and Swiss
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread 1 cup of the sauce over the bottom
of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Arrange 4 pieces of the lasagna (3 length-wise,
1 width-wise) over the sauce. Top with half of Ricotta cheese mixture,
half of chicken mixture and half of remaining sauce mixture.
- Repeat layers, ending with 4 pieces of lasagna. Spread reserved 1 cup of
sauce over the last complete layer of lasagna, being sure to cover
the lasagna completely.
- Cover lasagna with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Uncover lasagna, sprinkle
remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese on top and bake an additional
5 minutes uncovered.
- Re-cover and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Yield: 10 servings
Recipe credit: National Pasta Association