- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 1 (1 pound) can tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 8 ounce lasagna
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 8 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large heavy pan, lightly brown beef and onion in oil.
- Add tomatoes
(put through blender or cut with edge of spoon), tomato paste, water,
parsley, salt, sugar, garlic powder, pepper and oregano; simmer
uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook lasagna as directed on package; drain.
- In 13 x 9-inch baking pan, spread about 1 cup sauce. Then alternate
layers of lasagna, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese,
ending with sauce, Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees
F for 40 to 50 minutes until lightly browned and bubbling.
- Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares to serve.
Yield: 8 servings