Creamy Fontina Crab Lasagna
Tip: Lasagna may be assembled 1 day in advance and refrigerated until ready to bake.
- 2 cups (16 ounces) Wisconsin ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chile flakes
- 1 bunch (about 2 cups) Lacinato kale, stems removed and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 cups (16 ounces) Wisconsin fontina cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 1/2 pounds lump crab meat
- 6 tablespoons butter, plus additional for pan
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 16 sheets (9 ounces) no-boil lasagna noodles
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- For filling: In large bowl, combine ricotta, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and red chile flakes. Mix well. Add kale, basil, parmesan and 2 cups fontina; mix well. Set aside. Place crab in separate medium bowl. Pick through to remove any pieces of shell. Season crab with additional salt and pepper. Set aside.
- For sauce: In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Whisk in flour; cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk and increase heat to medium-high, stirring constantly until sauce is thick enough to coat back of spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Generously butter a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Spread 1/2 cup sauce over bottom of pan. Top with 4 lasagna noodles. Spread 1/3 ricotta mixture over noodles. Top with 1/3 of crab meat and about 3/4 cup sauce. Repeat layers two times. Finish with additional layer of noodles (4 total) and top with remaining sauce and remaining 2 cups fontina. Bake lasagna for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven; set aside at least 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin