Confused by the recipe title? Fajita seasoning mix adds a Mexican twist to this
Italian favorite. Your family will shout "Ole" when they taste this fusion
- 1 (1 pound) bag frozen stir-fry bell peppers and onions, thawed
- 1 pound lean
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (1.4 ounce) fajita
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles, each about 6 to 8 inches long and 3
- 3 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese (12 ounces)
- 1 can (2
1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- Guacamole, if desired
- Old El Paso
Thick 'n Chunky salsa, if desired
- Sour cream, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray bottom and sides of rectangular baking dish,
13 x 9 x 2 inches, with cooking spray.
- Drain thawed bell pepper mixture on several
layers of paper towels; set aside.
- Cook beef in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until
- Stir in tomato sauce and seasoning mix; heat to boiling. Spread 1/2
cup sauce mixture in baking dish. Arrange 4 noodles crosswise, slightly overlapping,
on sauce. Spread 1 1/2 cups sauce over noodles, completely covering noodles. Spread
pepper mixture evenly over sauce; sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese.
- Arrange 4 noodles crosswise, slightly overlapping, on cheese. Spread about 1
1/2 cups sauce over noodles, completely covering noodles. Sprinkle 1 cup of the
cheese and the olives over sauce. Arrange 4 noodles crosswise, slightly overlapping,
on olives. Spread remaining sauce over noodles, completely covering noodles. Sprinkle
with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Spray piece of aluminum foil large enough to cover baking dish with cooking spray.
Tightly cover baking dish with foil, sprayed side down.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or
until hot and bubbly.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa and sour cream.
Makes: 8 servings
We're using ground beef in this recipe instead of the usual steak found in
fajitas so the lasagna will be easier to cut. When we tested this recipe using slices
of steak, we found that cutting the lasagna into serving pieces was difficult.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 465 (Calories from Fat 215 );
Total Fat 24 g (Saturated Fat 13 g); Cholesterol 75 mg; Sodium 1030 mg; Total Carbohydrate
40 g (Dietary Fiber 6 g); Protein 28 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 36 %; Vitamin C 40 %; Calcium 34 %; Iron
Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch; 3 Medium-Fat Meat; 1 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker 2008TM General Mills.