As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 cups extra-broad, no-yolks egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can seasoned tomato sauce for lasagna
- 1/2 cup pasta-cooking water (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano, crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute or 1 egg
- 2/3 cup grated mixed Italian cheese
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish
with cooking spray (or lightly oil) and set aside.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Add the noodles and cook according to package directions.
- Reserve 1/2 cup pasta-cooking water, then drain the pasta.
- Heat the olive oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add
the onion; saute 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute 1 minute.
Then add the beef, breaking up with a spatula. Cook until no
- Drain off the excess liquid. Pour the tomato sauce into the
- Pour the reserved pasta-cooking water into the can, swirl
a bit, and pour into the pan. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Season with black pepper. Taste and add a little salt if necessary.
- While the sauce is cooking, combine the cottage cheese, basil,
oregano, Parmesan and egg substitute.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan
followed by all of the noodles.
- Spoon the cottage-cheese mixture
over the noodles. Pour the sauce on top and sprinkle with the
mixed Italian cheese.
- Bake on center oven rack 25 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrients per serving: 500 calories, 32 grams protein, 16
grams fat (7 grams saturated fat), 55 grams carbohydrates, 792
mg sodium, 60 mg cholesterol
Source: The Wichita Eagle -10/31/01
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Lasagna Recipes