Steamed Chicken Lasagne with
Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 4 pieces of lasagne, uncooked
- 1 (6 to 8 ounce) chicken breast, cooked
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons pitted and chopped black olives, such as Kalamata
- 20 basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped, with juice
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Basil leaves (optional)
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, cut chicken breast into 6-8 pieces.
- In a food processor or blender, puree chicken breast with tomato paste.
- Add oil slowly, then add 1/2 cup chicken broth.
- Transfer puree to a bowl and mix in 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes and capers.
- Add the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, basil and olives. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a board, lay out 4 pieces of lasagne. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Lay 3-4 basil leaves on each piece of lasagne.
- Divide pureed chicken mixture into four equal parts.
- Spoon 1/4 of the mixture on one end of each sheet of lasagne. Roll up each sheet
and secure each together with a toothpick.
- Pour 1/4 cups of chicken broth into four oven-safe coffee cups or ramekins.
- Place rolled up lasagnes into cups. Place the cups in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Slowly fill pan with 1 inch of water. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, cook onion and chopped tomatoes (with their juice) over
medium heat until mixture has a sauce-like consistency (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add pepper and basil. Set aside.
- When lasagnes are done, remove from ramekins by carefully draining liquid from
each, and turning ramekins upside down. Remove lasagnes and turn right side up.
- Divide among four bowls, placing a lasagne in center of each bowl.
- Top each lasagne with a little sauce and pour remaining sauce around sides of
- Garnish with basil leaves.
Yield: 4 appetizer servings
Recipe and photo credit:
National Pasta Association