- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage, preferably chicken, removed from the casing
- 1 pound button mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Generous dash nutmeg
- 1 box no-boil lasagna noodles
- 4 cups shredded Italian four-cheese blend or shredded provolone
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking up, until meat is crumbled and golden brown.
- Add mushrooms to pan and cook until golden brown.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- While meat is browning, melt butter in a large sauce pot.
- Sprinkle flour over butter and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Whisk in the milk and chicken stock and bring sauce to a bubble.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper, and simmer 3 more minutes.
- Assemble lasagna by ladling 1/2 cup sauce into bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Place 3 noodles over sauce and top with one third of the sausage mushroom mixture.
- Top with 1 cup of the sauce and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Make 2 more layers, laying down 3
lasagna noodles, about one third of the meat mixture, 1 cup of the
sauce and 1 cup of shredded cheese for each layer.
- Top lasagna with last 3 noodles, remaining sauce and remaining cheese.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings