- 6 or more large zucchini
- 1 (1-quart) jar thick marinara sauce
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/2 up grated Parmesan cheese
- Toasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice zucchini 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread thick layer using half of
marinara sauce in 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Add layer of half of zucchini slices, then half of ricotta.
- Top with half of onion and mushrooms, then sprinkle with half of oregano and basil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with half of mozzarella cheese slices.
- Cover with second layer of remaining sauce and repeat layering
process, with remaining ricotta, onion, mushrooms, oregano, basil and mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garnish with sunflower seeds.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until zucchini is cooked but not mushy.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
For a non-vegetarian dish, use meat sauce or add sausage or
pepperoni to marinara sauce.
Source: The Los Angeles Times 1992