Bolognese Meat Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pancetta or unsmoked bacon, finely chopped (bacon is a lot cheaper)
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped with
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Heat butter and oil in pan and add onion. Cook over moderate heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add pancetta or bacon and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in carrot, celery
and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes longer.
- Add beef and crumble it into the vegetables
with a fork. Stir until meat loses its red color and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the wine, raise heat slightly and cook until the liquid evaporates, 3-4
- Add the milk, and cook until it evaporates.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their
juice and the herbs. Bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer,
uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Correct the seasonings before
Good for about 6 servings of pasta.
Posted by GourmetGal at recipegoldmine.com.