Bolognese Meat Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pancetta or unsmoked bacon, finely chopped (bacon is a lot cheaper)
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped with their juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Heat butter and oil in pan and add onion. Cook over moderate heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add pancetta or bacon and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in carrot, celery and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes longer.
- Add beef and crumble it into the vegetables
with a fork. Stir until meat loses its red color and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the wine, raise heat slightly and cook until the liquid evaporates, 3-4
- Add the milk, and cook until it evaporates.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their
juice and the herbs. Bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer,
uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Correct the seasonings before serving.
Yield: about 6 servings
Posted by GourmetGal at recipegoldmine.com.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.