Country Gardens Pasta Sauce
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup butter
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 12 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, chopped and not drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- Freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Saute onions in 4 tablespoons of the butter for 2 minutes.
- Add peppers, celery and garlic; cook until onions are translucent.
- Place in a 4- to 6-quart heavy skillet.
Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and add the mushrooms. Saute over medium
high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until they have absorbed the butter. Add to the onion
- Put the remaining butter into the skillet and add the zucchini. Brown for
several minutes and add to the onion mixture.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Adjust seasonings. Do not boil.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.