Gincart's Spaghetti Sauce
Adapted to my taste over many years of tweaking.The sauce is enough for 1 pound
pasta and you may have to adjust seasonings to your taste. This is a great meatless
sauce and on occasion I will add my own meatball recipe or Italian sausage when
the mood strikes. Enjoy!
- 1/2 medium onion, fine dice
- 3 large cloves garlic, fine mince
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole Roma tomatoes (I prefer Progresso)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled fine
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled fine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (the cheap stuff like at Sam's)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Using a good saute pan, saute onions in olive oil over medium heat for about
- Add garlic, oregano and basil and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add balsamic
vinegar and let reduce to about half, then add whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar,
salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes and then start breaking down whole
tomatoes with spoon/fork. Simmer for another 10 minutes or while pasta is cooking.
- After draining pasta (I use De Cecco), I put it back in same pot it was boiled in
and then add sauce. Let sauce soak into pasta for about 3-4 minutes before serving
and just prior to serving, I drizzle another tablespoon or so of extra-virgin olive
oil and mix with pasta. Add fresh basil and freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano and
Posted by gincart at recipegoldmine.com
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.