Green Chile Pesto
- 6 large long green chiles or 4 medium poblanos
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups lightly packed clean, dry basil leaves and tender stems
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Roast chiles, turning them often, until the peels are lightly and evenly charred.
- Steam the chiles in a closed paper bag until cool.
- Rub off the charred peels, remove the stems and seeds, and coarsely chop the chiles.
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast the pine nuts, stirring often, until they
are lightly browned. Remove them from the skillet to cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor, combine pine nuts, basil, chopped chiles and garlic. Process,
scraping down sides of the bowl once or twice, until smooth.
- Gradually add the olive oil through the feed tube.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the cheeses, salt and pepper.
- Tightly cover the pesto and refrigerate for up to three days. It can also be
frozen for up to 3 months, but add the cheese only after it is defrosted.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.