- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 cup tightly
packed, rinsed, drained and stemmed fresh basil leaves
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons
freshly-grated Romano cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in small saucepan or skillet over medium-low heat.
Add pine nuts; sauté, stirring and shaking pan constantly until nuts are light brown,
30 to 45 seconds.
- Transfer nuts immediately to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Combine pine nuts, basil leaves, garlic, salt and remaining 1/4 cup oil in food
processor or blender container. Process until mixture is evenly blended and pieces
are very finely chopped.
- Transfer basil mixture to small bowl.
- Stir in Parmesan
and Romano cheeses.
- Pesto can be refrigerated, covered with thin layer of olive
oil, up to 1 week; or pesto can be frozen for several months. Thaw and bring to
room temperature before using.
- Toss pesto with hot cooked buttered fettuccine or linguine.
Pesto will dress 1/2
to 3/4 pound pasta.