Rusty's Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground sausage or both)
- Bread crumbs, homemade is best but from a store is OK (sorry I don't measure)
- 1 egg
- A splash or two of milk
- Spices, for meatballs (basil and Italian seasoning, mostly)
- 1 regular (16 ounce) can tomato puree, or make your own with fresh tomatoes. (You may also choose to use crushed plum tomatoes.)
- 2 large cans (30 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small can (6 ounces) Italian flavored tomato paste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- Spices (I use basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, and parsley)
- Olive oil
- Fresh mushrooms, optional
- Blanched spinach, optional
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Make meatballs by mixing beef, bread crumbs, egg, milk and spices. Roll into
balls to just fit the palm of your hand. (Guys a little smaller.)
- In a Dutch oven, brown on all sides in olive oil, a clove or 2 of garlic
- Remove meatballs when browned.
- Heat tomato paste in the same oil you used to
brown the meatballs and in the same pan. Stir.
- When warmed, add tomato sauce and tomato puree.
- Add meatballs.
- Add spices. When the sauce starts to bubble, turn the
heat to medium low. Cover and cook for at least 4 hours.
- Add spinach, mushrooms or whatever else you desire during the last hour of cooking.
Recipe by LladyRusty.
Posted by LladyRusty at recipegoldmine.com.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pasta Sauce Recipes