Rusty's Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground sausage or both)
- Bread crumbs, homemade is best but from a store is OK (sorry I don't measure)
- 1 egg
- A splash or two of milk
- Spices, for meatballs (basil and Italian seasoning, mostly)
- 1 regular (16 ounce) can tomato puree, or make your own with fresh tomatoes. (You may also choose to use crushed plum tomatoes.)
- 2 large cans (30 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small can (6 ounces) Italian flavored tomato paste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- Spices (I use basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, and parsley)
- Olive oil
- Fresh mushrooms, optional
- Blanched spinach, optional
- Make meatballs by mixing beef, bread crumbs, egg, milk and spices. Roll into
balls to just fit the palm of your hand. (Guys a little smaller.)
- In a Dutch oven, brown on all sides in olive oil, a clove or 2 of garlic
- Remove meatballs when browned.
- Heat tomato paste in the same oil you used to
brown the meatballs and in the same pan. Stir.
- When warmed, add tomato sauce and tomato puree.
- Add meatballs.
- Add spices. When the sauce starts to bubble, turn the
heat to medium low. Cover and cook for at least 4 hours.
- Add spinach, mushrooms or whatever else you desire during the last hour of cooking.
Recipe by LladyRusty.
Posted by LladyRusty at recipegoldmine.com.