Pet Food Recipes
Banana Biscotti Bones
Although these are treats for your favorite four-legged friend, humans like them
- 5 cups flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups pureed bananas
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F and set a rack on the middle level. Have ready
one or two ungreased nonstick baking sheets.
- Mix the flour, peanuts and baking soda together in a large bowl. Gradually stir
in the remaining ingredients, except the water, until lumpy but blended.
- Add enough water, a teaspoon at a time, to make a stiff dough. Knead by hand
until thoroughly mixed. Or blend everything in a food processor.
- For very large biscotti, form the dough into 2 logs, each about 2 1/2 inches
high, placing one on each baking sheet. Flatten each log so that it is 6 inches
wide and 1 inch high. For medium-size biscotti, form 4 logs, 2 on each sheet, and
flatten each into loaves that are 3 inches wide and 1 inch high. Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove to wire racks and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Leave the oven on. Transfer the logs to a cutting board and slice into 1/2- to
3/4-inch pieces. (It's easiest to slice them on the diagonal, using a serrated
bread knife.) Return the slices to the baking sheets and bake for about 20 minutes
longer, turning once, until they are golden brown. Cool on racks. Store in a tightly
closed tin at room temperature.
Makes 30 to 60 dog (or people) biscuits.
Source: The Best American Recipes 1999