Crunchy Sesame Rye Treats
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 3/4 vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Melted carob for dipping, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, oats, cornmeal and sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together broth, water and oil and pour into the dry ingredients
and stir to form a dough.
- Scoop out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, adding
as much additional whole wheat flour as needed to make a dough that is smooth and
not sticky. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 1/4-inch
thick. Cut out as many treats as you can, re-rolling the dough as necessary.
onto parchment-lined baking sheets and bake until crisp, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove and transfer the treats to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you want an extra special treat, dip half of each treat into melted carob
(do NOT use chocolate) and place into the refrigerator to set the coating.
Makes several dozen depending on the size of the cookie cutter.