- 3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups bulgur
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg, slightly beaten with 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Mix flours, bulgur, cornmeal, dry milk powder and salt with a wooden spoon in
a large bowl. Dissolve the yeast thoroughly in warm water at 110 to 115 degrees
F in a glass measuring cup. Add this to the dry ingredients.
- Add chicken broth to
the flour mixture. Stir until dough forms.
- Roll out dough until it is 1/4-inch thick. Using a cardboard pattern or dog biscuit
cutters, cut out bone shapes from dough.
- Place biscuits on a greased cookie sheet.
- Brush dough with the egg glaze.
- Bake bones for 45 minutes.
- Turn oven off. Biscuits should remain in oven overnight to harden.