Doggy or Kitty Biscuits
- 1 pound liver, organs, or other meat
- 2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 2 cups
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Cover meat with cold water and bring to a boil. Immediately lower heat and simmer
for 30 minutes. Remove meat from water and let cool; retain water.
- When meat is completely cool, chop into 1-inch pieces and grind in food processor,
chop in blender, or process through a meat grinder until it is finely ground. Mix
ground meat, bran, oatmeal, and oil, adding the cooking water from the meat as necessary
to make a thick dough. Avoid using any more liquid than needed to make a dough that
is coarse and just wet enough to work with. Shape the dough into flattened balls
or little bone shapes and arrange on an oiled baking sheet. Bake for 3 hours. Then,
turn off the heat and let the biscuits cool in the oven to ensure they are hard
- Let the biscuits air dry for 24 hours and store in an airtight container on the
shelf for up to 4 weeks.
When making this recipe for cats, shape the biscuits into tiny bits for
HINT: A good idea for getting the meat for this recipe is to save organs from
chickens, turkeys, etc. in a plastic bag in the freezer until you have enough to
make this yummy treat.