Happy Trail Dog Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup vegetable
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup liver powder
- Place oven rack in upper third of oven. Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a cookie
sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Add egg, oil and broth. Mix with a
wooden spoon to make a soft dough. The dough should be soft but firm enough to roll
out. If the dough is too moist, add a little more flour; if too dry, add a little
- On a floured surface roll out the dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut in 3 1/2 inch
dog bone biscuit shapes with a cutter or pattern. If using a pattern, flour the
top of the dough first. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet. Re-roll scraps.
With a skewer, prick a line of dots down centers, halfway through.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Turn oven off and let the biscuits stand in the oven overnight to dry out and
These can be stored in plastic bags at room temperature for up to 3 months.